A few weeks ago, we found out our little boy is extremely large for his gestational age. At 32 weeks, he was about 6 pounds {with 8 weeks to go!}...needless to say, it's made me very nervous for the part where I have to get this monster baby out of my belly...especially since my doctor told me all of the possible risks of a woman with a small/average pelvis trying to deliver a baby with macrosomia (that's the official diagnosis of the baby). He explained that the worst thing that can happen is that I'm able to get his head out, and then his shoulders get stuck. This would result in him having to break the baby's collar bone, and if that doesn't work, they'd have to push the baby back in and then do an emergency C-section. If this happens, there could be permanent nerve damage or even cerebral palsy as a side effect. {Ok, I need to take a deep breath before I go on because this sounds SO SCARY to me! *inhale, exhale* } The other risk--one that is more likely to occur--from vaginal delivery is extreme tearing. Maxson's head at 32 weeks was the size of a full term newborn...and it's just getting bigger and bigger everyday! If I am able to get him out, there would be a long hard recovery from tearing from front to back. Ok, now that you know the risks that I'm dealing with, maybe you'll understand more the reasons why I'm most likely {not quite 100% decided, more like 90%} opting for a scheduled C section.
PROS OF VAGINAL DELIVERY:
-it's supposed to be a little bit better for the baby to get squeezed through the birth canal to get any fluid out of the lungs (although this would not be a long-term issue)
-I would get the experience of "pushing my baby out" and getting him set on my belly right away.
-It is the more natural way to go (even though I was planning on an epidural regardless)
CONS OF VAGINAL DELIVERY:
-I would be so full of anxiety the entire labor thinking of if he would get stuck or not. There is no way to know if he will fit until I'm actually pushing.
-All of the above reasons, of him getting stuck and of the long term complications that could come from it.
-Me tearing really bad
-Possible feeling of regret if anything bad happens, like I was being selfish for wanting that moment of him on my belly right away.
-Having to be in labor! I mean, I don't think any woman has ever felt like she wanted the pain of contractions...
PROS OF C SECTION:
-All anxiety goes away of anything going wrong with delivery (c section is an extremely common surgery with very little risk involved..in fact, doctors prefer it.)
-The ability to plan when Maxson will come. With Matt leaving for DC on April 22nd, there is an extreme amount of anxiety in me when I think about him not making it back in time when I go into labor.
-I honestly think the recovery of a c section would be easier than the recovery of tearing all the way front to back. (and tearing this bad is a very real possibility...Matt's mom did with him and Maxson is on the exact same tract of growth of Matt--9lbs12oz at birth)
-No feeling of regret. I would know that I did what the doctor thought was best for the baby.
-NO LABOR! I've never been that girl with the deep desire to have a natural birth, or to feel any pain at all. A C section with pain meds from the beginning and right away after sounds great to me!
CONS OF C SECTION:
-Other mommies (none of which, it must be said, have ever HAD a c section) are trying to talk me out of it.
-Mommies who have delivered before say they love the moment of the baby being set on the belly and you being the first thing the baby sees.
-Not being the first one to hold my baby. Even though they give the baby right to Matt, I hate the idea of being paralyzed on a surgical table watching Matt hold our baby and not being able to.
SO. All of this being said, I hope you all can understand the confusion, anxiety, and angst I feel over this decision. If we do go for the C section, Maxson will be born on April 30th...which is crazy because that's only 3 weeks and some change! Wow, I can't believe he could be here that soon. Feel free to sound off on your opinion {but be aware I'm very sensitive right now in my current state lol}
Good night!
I know a lot of women who have had C-Sections and said it was a really great experience and they are glad they did it. It sounds like the better option for you, but you are the one who ultimately has to make the decision of what's right for you and your little guy. I know you don't think it will be as special as if you delivered vaginally...but its the birth of your first baby boy! I know it will be soooo special for you and Matt no matter how you deliver! Just pray about it and I know the right answer will come to you. Love you Kayla! =]
ReplyDeleteI also know allot of my friends that have had a c-section and it was a great experience. I must say that I had Jaden naturally but, she had a bowel movement when I was delivering her and so I didn't get to have her placed on my chest either because they rushed her out of the room. So even if you have a natural birth, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you can have your baby right after. It turned out great because I got to hold my healthy baby after. You’ll do great and be fine :)
ReplyDelete