3/20/11

Moroccan Carrot Soup

A few days ago, my Relief Society had a big gathering to celebrate the anniversary of its organization. We each signed up to bring either a soup or a {birthday} cake, and we ate the soup in bread bowls and had a blast tasting all the different cakes. I brought a Moroccan Carrot soup and a few people wanted the recipe. It was SOO YUMMY, I thought I would just post it on here for you all to keep it in your repertoire {or go make it. right now. It's THAT good}. It's also way easy, which is a plus!

{photo and recipe credit: bonappetit.com}


Moroccan Carrot Soup
4 Servings
Prep: 20 Minutes Total: 40 Minutes

INGREDIENTS:
2 Tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1 cup chopped white onion
1 pound large carrots, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch dice. (about 2/3 cup)
2 1/2 cups low salt chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup plain yogurt

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute 2 minutes. Mix in carrots. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes. Remove soup from heat. Puree in batches in blender until smooth. Return to same pan. Whisk in honey, lemon juice, and allspice. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls, drizzle yogurt over; sprinkle generously with cumin.

and VOILA, you have a deliciously smooth, refreshing soup that isn't spicy at all (when I heard "moroccan", I was worried it would be spicy). For the Relief Society party, I just set out a bowl with yogurt and a jar of cumin and put a sign telling people to spoon their own yogurt and sprinkle their own cumin.
on a side note, I had never cooked with allspice before and lemme tell ya, it smells SO good! I can't wait to cook with it again!
one other side note... i don't recommend serving yours in a bread bowl. When the bread mixed with the soup, it created a very pumpkin-y consistency and flavor. much better in a regular bowl!
Let me know how yours turns out!

Kayla

1 comment: