SO, I'm going to start with an update on Maxson. We've been dealing with his mysterious lack of weight gain for almost his whole life, and after many blood tests and no answers, we were referred to the pediatric gastroenterologist. Let me just say how grateful I am that we were finally able to take him to a specialist who KNOWS what they are talking about after 8 months of dealing with the barely-competetant BYU health center doctors. As grateful as I am that we have health insurance, student health insurance is horrible. We weren't able to even take Maxson to a pediatrician--he had to see the general doctors at the health center. Something about taking my baby to a college health center just drove me nuts, especially because he would see a new one every time and so there were a lot of repeated un-necessary tests and frustrations. We went and saw the gastroenterologist this week and it was mostly good news! This is a doctor who sees the worst of the worst as far as skinny babies goes, and when he saw Maxson he was underwhelmed to say the least. I think his words were, "he's not a skinny boy! He's slender sure, but definitely not worrisome." From then on, I felt awesome. The doctor said Maxson just has a small appetite (which apparently is a personality trait) and isn't getting enough calories. Up until this point, the BYU doctors had told us to keep him on formula because we could add extra scoops and increase calories. The gastroenterologist said that was completely inappropriate for a 16 month old to be on formula, and told us to switch to Pediasure Peptide. The Pediasure has about twice as many calories as he was getting from the formula, so this is good news. Bad news is it's flipping expensive...$5 per 8 oz bottle and he needs 3 a day! yikes. So if any of you couponers out there find coupons, feel free to let me know!! He did have to do one more round of blood tests, plus a stool test (how gross to be a lab tech and have to analyze peoples poo..) but if those come back normal, and he gains weight before his next appointment, we are in the clear! I'm just so relieved.
In other news, I've been working like a mad woman getting the nursery all set up! We are SO SO SO excited to be welcoming a little girl into our family in less than 3 months! It's been such a blast getting adorable clothes and shoes, and setting up a gorgeous room to bring her home to. I keep telling Matt, "this could be my only girl I ever have! of course she has to have (insert cute something here...this pair of shoes! this cute cardigan! this bedding!)" We are naming her Azalea Maelynn-- Azalea like the flower (which I just found out my great great grandfather was an azalea farmer..I had no idea when we chose the name!) and Maelynn we came up with from putting together two family names (may + lynn). We love Azalea because she can choose to go by her whole name, or there are tons of possibilities for way cute nicknames (our favorite is Zellie Mae) :)
Here are some pictures of our nursery in progress:
I need to hang these pictures, one is a picture of azaleas, the other is a verse from a hymn that talks about being a daughter of God.
I am still waiting on the fabric that I ordered to sew curtains and do a project using embroidery hoops... the hoops with be a big feature above the changing table (which still needs a pad and pad cover). Also, I ordered pink tulle and I'm going to treat the bottom of the changing table with it as a sort of tutu effect. This might turn out to be horrific, and if so, I won't go through with it ;)
Crib with bedding and the "A" I made from a cardboard letter and yarn, and a little rug I picked up from ikea.
This picture is dark, but I wanted to show you the cool pattern the light fixture projects onto the walls...no mobile needed, she'll get a kick out of that light! Side note: Maxson already does! every time he walks past her room he says "ooooooooh!!!" and points to it :)I will be sure to post more pictures when it's complete! I really just need to hang the pictures, a couple shelves, sew and hang the curtains, and make and hang the embroidery hoops and it's done! This actually sounds like a lot written out, but it doesn't feel like that much! lol...I am hoping to get a stuffed rocking chair, but haven't been able to find an inexpensive one ( i LOVE the pottery barn ones, but that just doesn't fit in our budget). Very exciting to have it all coming together! :)
Kayla
No comments:
Post a Comment